This excellent episode from the 2012 series of the BBC science programme Horizon looks at the emerging field of synthetic biology. Presenter Adam Rutherford conducts a tour round some of the key developments:
- Transgenic goats that produce silk protein in their milk;
- “Synthia” the bacteria assembled from an emptied cell and DNA ordered over the internet;
- Specially constructed gene modules known as “Biobricks” and the associated international genetically engineered machines (iGEM) competition;
- Biodiesel production;
- DIY biology (“Biohacking”);
- Nanotube biocapsules; and
- Synthetic neurobiology.